Nortek supplies two types of cables - Subconn and Impulse. In this article, we have highlighted a set of instructions on how to take care of each connector type.
To identify which cable you have, there are two methods you can use. First, determine the instrument you are operating with. All DVL's and Signatures utilise a SubConn connector, whereas Midlife employs an Impulse connector. Secondly, you can identify the connector sleeve color. A red sleeve indicates a SubConn connector, while a black sleeve indicates an Impulse connector.
SubConn connector care
- Periodically apply Molykote 111 silicone grease or equivalent before mating connectors
- For dry mate connections, a layer of grease corresponding to 1/10 the socket depth should be applied to the female connector
- After greasing, fully mate the male and female connector and remove excess grease from the connector joint
- General cleaning and removal of sand or mud on a connector should be performed using a spray-based contact cleaner like isopropyl alcohol
Impulse connector care
- Lubricate mating surfaces regularly with 3M Silicone spray or equivalent, DO NOT GREASE
- Lubricate O-rings with Molykote 111 or equivalent
- Use dust caps to protect connectors wherever possible
- Clean connectors with soap and fresh water, rinse out with alcohol and allow connector to air dry before using.
Proper connector care is vital for reliable connections, extended lifespan, and optimal performance.